Saturday 26 January 2019, 9:00AM-5:00PM
Clemson University, Cooper Library Room 200B
Instructor: Dr. Marie A. Vitulli
Professor Emerita, University of Oregon
2019 Fellow of the AWM
Director, Women in Math Web Project
Winner, 2017 AWM Service Award
2014 AWM-MAA Etta Z. Falconer Lecturer
Gender bias in Wikipedia is well documented. As of 05 Dec 2018, only 17.75% of the biographies in Wikipedia are about women. In addition, biographies of women tend to be “less extensive” and “to overuse words relating to gender and family”. Furthermore, it is estimated that less than 16% of Wikipedia editors are women; the estimation is so rough because women editors frequently decline to identify their gender or lie about it, in part, to avoid online harassment. Wikipedia also suffers from racial bias. Less seems to be known about other biases in Wikipedia.
The broadest goal of this event is to contribute to the reduction of bias in Wikipedia. Participants will receive hands-on training about editing and creating wikipedia pages with an eye toward increasing visibility of underrepresented groups on Wikipedia, especially in the mathematical and statistical sciences. By the end of the edit-a-thon, participants will edit and/or create at least one wikipedia biography.
Dr. Vitulli will present “Algebra and Geometry Throughout History: A Symbiotic Relationship” in Clemson’s Distinguished Speaker Series on Friday 25 January at 10:10AM in the Watt Family Innovation Center Auditorium
Before the Edit-A-Thon
- If you have time, research a topic: suggestions (red-list) from Women in Red. Otherwise, Prof. Vitulli is preparing small helpful edit-projects for participants to work on.
- Create a Wikipedia account. Note that new Wikipedia editors won’t be able to publish new pages until their accounts are at least 4 days old and they’ve made at least 10 edits.
- Bring a laptop (or let us know if you need help with this)
- Registration page
- Background, basics, and more for the edit-a-thon
- Writing Women into Wikipedia, by Marie A. Vitulli. (See also the abbreviated version in the Notices of the American Mathematical Society, March 2018)
- How to Create a Wikipedia Account
- Dr. Vitulli’s template for a biography of a woman mathematician
- The Women in Red Project
- An extensive list of biographies of female mathematicians, which need to be created or improved, and a section on the Association for Women in Mathematics listing awards, prizes, and lectures, which list award/prize recipients who don’t have pages and prizes/awards that don’t have pages.
- Various lists of pages that need to be created or improved.
- Main page for Wikipedia:WikiProject Women in Red
- Clemson guest wireless information (Clemson is also part of Eduroam)
- Clemson visitor parking (let us know when you register if you’ll need a visitor parking permit)